Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Easy, Tasty, Prawn & Squash Curry

As promised! My easy peasy, tasty basty Prawn & Squash Curry recipe! 


Ready in 30 mins
Serves 6 

Ingredients: 

1 x Jar of Patak's Balti Curry Sauce
1 medium butternut squash, cut into small chunks (buy this ready prepared if you need to save time!)
410g tin - coconut milk
1 x TBSP light brown sugar
500g peeled, cooked prawns ( I got mine in a bag, frozen - perfect!) 
Few sprigs of basil, chopped 
250g Fresh Spinach
Handful of cashew nuts (optional)

Check you have: Basmati Rice 

Directions: 

1. Heat a large wok or saucepan, add curry sauce and cook for 1 minute on medium heat until fragrant.  Add squash, brown sugar and coconut milk.  Bring to the boil, then simmer - covered - for 15 mins until butternut is tender.  Add remaining ingredients (except rice), stir and cook for 3-4 mins if prawns were defrosted, or 15 minutes if frozen. 

2. Cook rice according to packet instructions while the curry is simmering.  Serve with curry spooned over the rice.

NOM NOM!! 

Honestly... this was totally delicious, I had two full servings... even the kids liked it - I just told them that the prawns were just the insides of fish fingers. Ha! The best part:? It all gets cooked in one pot (bar the rice) so there's virtually NO mess to clear up afterwards! 

Let me know if you try it - post your pics / feedback on my FB page, I'd love to hear what you think! 

*Recipe credited to Essentials magazine 2011 - I changed it up a little, but the basic recipe is from there*